Saturday, March 5, 2011

Book 12: Canine Tracking by Don Abney

Canine Tracking by Don Abney is one of the oddest dog books I’ve ever read. And I’ve read a lot of dog books.

It gets bonus points for being one of the very few (if only?) books I’ve ever seen that discusses blood trailing, how to teach dogs to follow a wounded animal…. But it also talks about search and rescue.

It seems like a sort of “all purpose” scenting book, but at the same time, I’m not an expert on either subject, yet it almost seems too basic in some ways. Like there’s a little more to it than the exercises given and that in this many pictures-large font-step by step format might be a bit not descriptive enough to actually get the dogs trained enough for these activities.

I made a few notes, and as I read more books about tracking, it will be interesting to see if others recommend some of the same “patterns” (Z, circles, overlapping [and I’m not talking about cross tracks!]).

It’s not on the top of my tracking/SAR/etc recommendation list… but as I learn more maybe that will change.

No comments: