Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sticking to a Plan

I had a nice little training session planned out for Griffin. I get outside, and what do we do? Work on a completely different (but also important) behavior: returning with an item and sitting.

This is something we have worked on before, at most, two sessions. I cued the Sit, if he dropped the item, I would move away and re-cue the informal "Get it." After about 5 responses (4) correct, I did not give the Sit cue and he was automatically sitting with the item. After a few more responses, I started to wait for a longer Sit before clicking...and also choosing to only click for a 'still mouth'. Five repetitions later, the mouthing was gone. Horray Griffin! We still have a ways to go, but that nice little three minute session was very productive.

Now I need to learn to stick to my plans....

No comments: